Friday, April 24, 2015

Potential Summer Reading List

     Summer break is almost here. There is one week left in the semester. After that, I am free!!!!!!! I am free to leave my view of the beautiful Flatirons in Boulder, CO. I am free to stare at the ocean in South Carolina. I am free to visit family in North Carolina. I may work in a little extra travel somewhere else before the summer is over. Excited. It's the best word to sum up my feelings, but travel is not the only reason.

     Summer is also the time for pleasure reading. I have a good stack of books ready to go, but they will not fill the void. So I took a list of the top 100 books in the past ten years, and I pruned it down to 29 that I would love to read. The problem is that I can't afford to buy them all, and I love writing in my books too much to borrow one from the library. I need help. Below is my list, can anyone recommend or warn me against any of the following:
  
1) The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson 

2) The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert 

3) How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu 

4) I'll Be Right There by Kyung-Sook Shin 

5) The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss 

6) Everything I Never Told You: by Celeste Ng 

7) The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

8) Redeployment by Phil Klay

9) Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel by Robin Sloan 

10) The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

11) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart  

12) All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

13) Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

14) Men We Reaped: A Memoir by Jesmyn Ward

15) Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver  

16) Submergence by J. M. Ledgard

17) Dear Life: Stories by Alice Munro

18) The Good Lord Bird by James McBride

19) The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt 

20) Annihilation (The Southern Reach Trilogy) by Jeff VanderMeer

21) Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

22) 11/22/63 by Stephen King

23) Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi

24) Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff 

25) Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

26) People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished from the Streets of Tokyo--and the Evil That Swallowed Her Up by Richard Lloyd Parry

27) Skippy Dies by Paul Murray

28) Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

29) Open City by Teju Cole

I look forward to your recommendations. You can leave them here, my inbox, or facebook.

No comments: